Released July, 2007
The Pros:Upscales all video sources to 1080p/HDMI. Reon-VX HQV video processing (1080p). Supports bi-amplification and bridged operation.
The Cons:Problems with HDMI handshaking with some video sources. No tweaking of the REON processor except to disable xvYCC. Automated Audyssey setup required some manual tweaking for acceptable results.
The Onkyo TX-SR875 is a high-end 7.1 channel audio/video receiver as part of Onkyo's latest lineup of products supporting HDMI 1.3a. Along with the flagship Onkyo TX-NR905, the TX-SR875 are the first receivers to include Silicon Optix's acclaimed Reon-VX HQV video processing chip that effectively up-rezzes all video sources to 1080p.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
The receiver features 4 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output delivering 1080p signals with audio.
From the audio and amplification standpoint, the TX-SR875 features a dual push-pull amplifier configuration, with a three-stage inverted Darlington circuit. It also includes top-of-the-line Burr-Brown DACs for high efficiency and high current with low distortion. It also supports bi-amplification (with compatible speakers), and bridged operation for a high power setup. In normal operation, this receiver can deliver 140 W to each of its 7 channels.
- Full A/V Processing via HDMI 1.3a with Upconversion (4 in 1 out)
- HDMI Deep Color Capable (36bit)
- Component Video Upconversion and HDTV-Capable (100 MHZ) Video Switching (3 in 1 out)
- WRAT/ Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry/ Non-Scaling Configuration/ A-Form Listening Mode Memory/ RI
- HQV Reon-VX Video Processing and NSV Precision Video
- Audyssey MultEQ XT Room Acoustics Correction
- 7.1 Multichannel Inputs for PCM Delivery of Hi-Def Audio Sources
- DOLBY Decoder - PLIIx, DD, DD-EX, DD+, TrueHD
- DTS Decoder - DTS, ES, NEO:6, 96/24, HD Master Audio
- THX Ultra2 Certified
- S-Video (5 in 1 out)
- Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX) 3/2
- Composite (5 in 2 out)
- 7.1 Preouts
- Burr-Brown 192/24-bit DAC on all Channels (TI Architecture (PCM1796))
- Power 140W/Ch
- Powered Zone 2 with Video Balance Volume and tone control
- Powered Zone 3
- Bi-Amp & BTL Capable
- Dual Push-Pull Amp with 3 stage inverted
- XM and Sirius ports
- XM HD Surround Sound through Neural Surround
- RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) communication protocol
- MSRP $1699
- Release date: July 2007
The TX-SR875 offers a distinct advantage over its competitors as it is powered by a Reon HQV chipset instead of the inferior Faroudja DCDi chipset found in the competing models. The TX-SR875 is now available for a retail price of $1699.
User Reviews (42)
Upscales all video sources to 1080p/HDMI
Reon-VX HQV video processing (1080p)
Supports bi-amplification and bridged operation
High efficiency, high current, low distortion
Decent SD video source upscaling
4 full-function HDMI 1.3a inputs
Problems with HDMI handshaking with some video sources
No tweaking of the REON processor except to disable xvYCC
Automated Audyssey setup required some manual tweaking for acceptable results
power consumption in standby is ~75W (HDMI Control ON)
Video source problems with video pass-through.
You may also like...